[Gmod-gbrowse] Set up GBrowse to compare the genes of n number of isolates
Wiese, Matthew B.
2015-06-25 05:29:18 UTC
GBrowse Team,

I'm setting up a GBrowse system for my lab's particular data on fungi.

The researchers would like to use GBrowse to compare the gene differences between two or more isolates.

I've looked through the wiki and have tried web searches but nothing has come up.

Is it possible to modify GBrowse to view multiple genomes and compare their differences in genes?

Thanks,

Matt Wiese
Alexey Morozov
2015-06-25 08:00:58 UTC
I don't think you can easily add real support for multiple genomes in
gbrowse. What you can do is emulate it. Add a separate track with data
about presence of a given gene in other genomes and add hyperlinks to those
in that track, like this:

track
Strain 2 |||||<link to strain2>|||||||||||||||||||| Hyperlink and some
data about genes' identity or whatever
Strain 3 No link here
because strain 3 doesn't contain this gene
Strain 4 |||||<link to strain4>||||||||||||||||||||| Like Strain 2

There are no reasons not to make these tracks look like "Real" gene track.
But keep in mind that you lose any possible rearrangements data (there may
be a separate track for contiguous segments, too!) and lengths of blocks
for other strains will be bound to Strain 1 gene length.
Post by Wiese, Matthew B.
GBrowse Team,
I'm setting up a GBrowse system for my lab's particular data on fungi.
The researchers would like to use GBrowse to compare the gene
differences between two or more isolates.
I've looked through the wiki and have tried web searches but nothing has come up.
Is it possible to modify GBrowse to view multiple genomes and compare
their differences in genes?
Thanks,
Matt Wiese
Alexey Morozov,