[Gmod-gbrowse] Regarding GBrowse installation
Scott Cain
2016-07-11 17:51:11 UTC
Hi Vijay,

I'm cc'ing the GBrowse mailing list so responses can be archived and other
people can provide assistance too.

If when you're installing you get errors, it's not too surprising that you
get 500 errors after the installation. When happened when you installed
prerequisites via Synaptic, because I know that there are apt packages for
bioperl and biogaphics (and, I think pretty much every GBrowse prereq). I
think you should probably start with trying to solve that.

Scott
Hi Scott
I am pretty new to GBrowse and my instructor asked me to work on it.I have
installed GBrowse using github in Ubuntu and ran perl script "Build.PL"
which suggested me to run 1. ./Build test 2. ./Build demo 3. ./Build
install. While running the perl script it gives me the errors,
Bio::Graphics is not installed and Bio::Root::version is not installed.
Also, when I try to open the example databases I come across the 500
internal server error. Could you please help me out how to install Gbrowse
and what are the prerequisities to be installed and how to do them because
I have installed all the prerequisities in Ubuntu using Synaptic package
manager but I guess some of them were missing.So can I have a detailed
description of how to follow the installation. Thanks in advance.
Regards
Vijaya Bhasker.
Hi Vijay,
How wedded are you to GBrowse? It is getting a little old; if you can use
it, I'd suggest JBrowse instead. If not, please send an email to the
GBrowse mailing list with a more thorough description of the problem with
excerpts of your Apache log files that might shed light on what's going on.
Scott
Sent from my iPhone
Hi Scott
I am a graduate student from Delaware State University and my majors is
in bioinformatics and my research project is installing and adding genome
sequence in the GBrowse. I face a lot of errors while going across the
tutorial. In the tutorial after adding the features for DNA and 6-frames
translation tracks, I am not able to view anything in those tracks. Later
when I tried installing it again it shows me other errors which I haven't
come across while installing earlier. So, please can you let me know what
the error is. Thanks in advance.
Regards
Vijaya Bhasker.
Scott Cain, Ph. D. scott at scottcain dot
net
GMOD Coordinator (http://gmod.org/) 216-392-3087
Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
Scott Cain
2016-07-14 18:46:56 UTC
Hi Vijay,

Please reply all so the GBrowse mailing list will be included.

Have you tried looking for gbrowse in synaptic? I haven't used it, but
with apt-get on the command line you should be able to find it. I would
NOT suggest installing GBrowse via synaptic, since the version would be
very old, but I imagine there is a way to install all of the prerequisites
without installing GBrowse itself. If you want to use the command line, I
describe how I install on ubuntu with apt-get here:

http://gmod.org/wiki/GBrowse_Ubuntu_HOWTO#Using_apt-get_just_to_get_the_prereqs

Scott
Hi Scott
I have installed apache2,perl5 , libgd2 , and MySQL server from synaptic .
Is there a different way I can install all the prerequisites and after
installing the prerequisites which is the best way to install Gbrowse.